Residents must relocate in 2 weeks

PUTRAJAYA: After anxious days and nights resisting attempts to relocate them, the 17 families in Jinjang Selatan Tambahan (JST) have been given an 11th hour reprieve — but only for two more weeks.

Federal Territories Minister Datuk Raja Nong Chik Raja Zainal Abidin said the residents would still have to move to the Batu Muda low-cost flats in Jalan Ipoh as their houses would be demolished to build a road connecting Kepong and Segambut.

“We decided to give them two weeks to move to their new homes as it will be the school holidays then and this will help to smoothen the transition process.

“The JST residents will still have to move despite their appeals as the ministry has to take into account the thousands of people who will benefit from the road being built there,” he said.
Raja Nong Chik said the decision was made following a meeting he had with Deputy Federal Territories Minister Datuk M. Saravanan, Human Resources Minister Datuk S. Subramaniam and the JST social development association chairman S. P. Karuppiah.

“Karuppiah has given his word to me that he will ensure all the families move out by then,” said Raja Nong Chik.

The families were supposed to have moved out by yesterday following several extensions to the April 28 deadline.

The road connecting Kepong and Segambut was supposed to have been built some 20 metres away from the affected homes.

However, the location was changed when it was later discovered that there were high-tension electricity cables at the targeted site.

Raja Nong Chik said City Hall would be providing the families with transport and RM1,000 each to help in the relocation.

He also said that the families would be given the right to buy the low-cost flats once the area was redeveloped.

Residents had said they were reluctant to move out as many had been staying in the area for years.

One of the residents, Ng Wah Hing, said his 450-square-metre four-bedroom house was built 40 years ago at a cost of RM150,000.

“I am now in my golden years and should not have to worry about where I am going to live but the order to relocate has been giving me sleepless nights,” said Ng, 78.

The houses are among 525 houses sitting on a temporary occupational land (TOL) spanning 46ha.

Residents were given permission to live on the TOL land in 1969 after they were relocated from Kampung Malaysia Batu Caves . The area was a mining pool at the time before the residents cleared the land and moved in.

The 17 houses, located adjacent to Jalan 44/31B, were the first group of houses to make way for the road project.

The other houses will be demolished in stages.

NST

~ by anaksenikl on May 17, 2009.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: